
Apparently apprehension and self-doubt are normal, natural precursors in the run-up to becoming a parent. Specifically the fear of the unknown intricacies that come with the upgrade from "solitary obese cat whisperers" to "video-camera-waving-baby-bjorn wearers". I personally find myself trying to quell any fears by downplaying the difficulty level and making ridiculous comparisons. I will think to myself, there are 14 year old heroin-addicted single mothers that gave birth in the back alley during prom that manage to raise their child unscathed (with the possible exception of bad dental work).... if this person can get it done, a savvy tech guy and enthusiastic teacher will raise an Uber-baby! In fact, he will be such an Uber-baby that I will name him Hubert, so that we can introduce him as 'Huberbaby Eichler'
Needless to say, my extensive baby experience to date has led me to group these creatures into two specific categories: 1) Crying 2) Non-crying. Although "society" ("The Puppy"... 15 pts for anyone who gets the reference) tells you to get all the gear and try to be like this guy , there are some things that one cannot be fully prepared for and the best advice is to just roll with what comes along.
Then I start wondering who invites a 14 year old heroin addicted pregnant chick to their prom...
1 comment:
Post a Comment